*to Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Κυνόσαργες

Tuesday 20 May 2014

INTJ, not a common @$$hole, please...

So I'm not fun at parties.

The Myers-Briggs test calls me INTJ and hits the nail on the head hard enough I see all of these as virtues*:
- rarely doubt themselves or care much about their perceived social roles, expectations etc. 
- ruthless when it comes to analyzing the usefulness of methods or ideas
- could not care less if that idea is popular or supported by an authority figure
- see most other people as irrational or intellectually inferior.
- have little patience for things they consider illogical, e.g. decisions based on feelings, irrational stubbornness, emotional outbursts etc.

I am also too honest not to note my own narcissism.  I am the "most independent"!
I was an INFP child, but you humans bullied me into an INTP teen; I've become INTJ because I now have your number.

I am often thoughtless, but never cruel; I only seem cruel because of flaws in your 'thinking'.

I suppose that's little consolation to you, stuck in your feels.

I wouldn't mind so much, even that you do not listen to my far better thought out ideas (as in, thought out), except "when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, [you] get down on your knees and pray for" the INTJ.  Then afterwards deny ours was the best option and that you'd lost your shit: ergo we should always be the leader.  On the other hand, I do not want to be a leader of your 'ship of fools'.

I'll be here in my head until you want an adult conversation.

*I am cynical of psychology, which fits INTJ rather well, but the description of INTJ fits me too well to discount it entirely, scholastic alchemy though psychology is.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you are an INTJ woman, you are a rare gem indeed. You'd likely scare me almost as much as attract me.

      Delete
    2. Ah, the image I borrowed. Hope you don't mind. Did you make it?

      Delete
  2. I've never done a Myer Briggs test but I bet I'd get INTP.

    And seriously, if you are that personality type, how have you survived in Japan this long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan? It's kind of all one, really. Not to say that Japanese culture isn't what it is, but if we assume that cultures include a similar range of personalities, the apparent differences between cultures are just what each culture rewards the expression of: the I, and T of INTJ have much to do with why I am more comfortable with Brits than N.Americans, despite being the latter. Also, I survive Japan by being an outsider; since I'm given no option of joining it's rather easy.

      Delete
    2. Or to clarify, an INTJ is always the outsider. Japan's just more honest about it from my point of view.

      Delete
    3. Try this one Kathryn: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

      It's free and it's interesting to read up on personality types; enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Myers-Briggs, I have often looked back on it since the first time I took the test. When I find my circle of friends changing or habits changing I take a look at the Myers-Briggs. My E and I seemed to waffle the most growing up. I have been a solid I for quite sometimes and aside from my urge to travel, I hate being around people more and more. Oxymoron I suppose. These days I stand at INFJ married to an INTJ.... let's just say we are not the popular couple when asked to parties. More often than not my hubs decides its time to go shortly after arriving, I don't blame him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel sorry for those married to INTJ. We are a bitter pill, even if we are good for you.

      Delete
    2. Yes it can be quite tiresome especially when we are both 'right' but are not reaching the same 'right' conclusion. Fun times to be sure, especially when I win I like to rub it in a little.

      Delete
  4. Regardless of personality type, everyone is better off when individuals understand themselves and and how others may perceive them. I was oblivious for years to the fact that I really put people off. When I finally became able to self analyze effectively, I saw so much in myself that I hated in others. I haven't been able to change enough to become someone who'd be popular at parties, but I find myself able to make friends a little easier these days... Of course, the parts I haven't been able to change are the parts I'd rather keep, feelings of others be damned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worse when I knew myself less and tried to be more extroverted and emotive, because that's what N. American culture demands: that was never going to come off. So I agree. I should have figured it out sooner: the Vulcans are the only Star Trek characters who talk any sense, though they are more ISTJ/ISTP.

      Delete